Laptops have quickly replaced the computers, thanks to their compact size and portability. Although it has eased a lot of problems for working-class people and students, there are some common issues faced by all laptop users. One such frequent issue is the keyboard not functioning properly. You can temporarily work with the on-screen keyboard, but it becomes tricky in the long run.
Acer Laptop Keyboard not Working Windows 10
Many people using Acer laptops have frequent complaints of their keyboard not working. This issue can be due to drivers or updates. Well, if you own a laptop, then it is vital to know the ways to troubleshoot such problems. There are several ways to restore the functionality of the keyboard that we shall discuss in this article.
Solution 1: Reboot your laptop
This is the first method that you should try to see if there is any change in the situation.
- Click on the power button and select the option of shutdown. You can also press the power button for 10-15 seconds on your laptop to shut it down.
- Once it is shut down, flip the laptop and carefully remove the battery from it.
- Let the battery stay out for a minute or two. This will refresh the laptop and might also help in solving your problem.
- Now put the battery back in its place correctly, see to it that it is set in the proper position. Switch on the laptop by pressing the power button. Check if the keyboard is working or not.
Solution 2: Update the keyboard driver
If you don’t recall updating your keyboard driver, then you already know the reason for your keyboard, which is not working. For this quick-fix solution, you have two methods to update the keyboard driver.
Method 1 :
- Go to the Control Panel and click on Device Manager.
- Now right click on the keyboard and expand that option.
- Select the option of Update driver.
Once the Driver is updated, you will see a pop-up on the screen for the same. Try using your keyboard and see if it works.
The next method is for the people who miss out on updating their laptops and face such problems time and again.
- For updating the drivers of the laptop with ease, you can now download Driver Easy on your laptop.
- There are two versions of Driver easy available: a free one and the other pro one. You can select and install the desired version.
- Once it is downloaded, launch the app and select the option of Scan.
- It will scan all the drivers of the computer and also detect the ones with issues. The scan function of the app also scans if the right drivers are installed in the system. The Driver easy can also delete the wrong drivers installed on the laptop.
- After the scanning process is completed, there is a list of the drivers that pops us that requires update if you haven’t updated your laptop in a while. You can just select the keyboard driver and click on the update option or select the update all option.
- This will automatically update all the keyboard drivers and you can further proceed with testing your keyboard again.
Solution 3: Check the filter keys
If you notice that your keyboard has suddenly stopped working or only some keys of it are nonfunctional, then it might be due to the filter keys. This method should also be tried if you notice that the keyboard is lagging and requiring much time to display the typed character on the keyboard.
The filter key is the function by which the keyboard ignores the brief or repeated strokes. The improper function of this key can also lead to the repetitive issue of the keyboard not working. For solving this, you can simply disable the filter keys.
- Go to settings or Control panel menu and click on the option of ease of access.
- Now select the option of the keyboard ( for windows 10) and disable or turn off the filter key function.
Solution 4: Fix the hardware issues of your laptop
The last method that you can try to fix the issue is to check for any hardware issues with the laptop.
- Remove the cover of the laptop by flipping it. Undo the screws with the help of a screwdriver and check if the keypad is fixed correctly.
- Fix and adjust the screws to ensure that there is no issue with it. If you are not confident enough to carry out this procedure with care, it is recommended to contact a professional for it.
All of the above-stated methods help fix the keyboard that is not working.You can also try a combination of two methods to check if it solves the problem. In case you find an issue with the Driver, reinstall it and restart the laptop. If none of these methods work for your Acer laptop, then I would recommend you to contact their customer care service.